We’ll let you in on a little secret of the top makeup artists. Whenever they hit Paris, London or New York for fashion week, the first stop they make is pharmacy. Why? To get Micellar Water Why again? Because they say that this is the most gentle and most effective makeup remover on the market. During fashion shows, models may be hired to do up to eight shows a day which translates into many and frequent makeup application and removals hence a gentle makeup remover is a necessity.
By the way, the term micellar is derived from the word micelles which are tiny clusters of cleansing molecules suspended in water. Here is our top pick of the best micellar-water-based makeup removers:
- NUXE Micellar Cleansing Water – this micellar water will not only efficiently remove traces of makeup in one go (thanks to a surfactant derived from coconut), but it will also soften and soothe your skin because it contains Allantoin and Demascena Rose Petal Floral Water.
- Bioderma Sebium H20 – if your skin is oily / combination and prone to breakouts than this is the product for you. Sebium H2O sanitizes the epidermis softly and rebalances the sebum excess.
- Bioderma Hydrabio H20 – does the same job as Bioderma Sensibio H20 but it is slightly more hydrating and thus more suitable for very dry / dehydrated skin.
- Bioderma Sensibio H20 – this is a French brand that makeup artists swear by. Bioderma Sensibio H20 takes every bit of makeup off in one fell swoop. It is very gentle on your skin which means that you can use it as frequently as you want to. Not only does it cleanse the skin, it also refreshes and tones it.
- Simple Cleansing Water – this is also a very hydrating makeup remover that is enriched with multi-vitamins particularly Vitamin B3, known to be exceptionally beneficial for dry skin, and Vitamin C, which is a great antioxidant. Simple Cleansing Micellar Water also contains triple purified water which eliminates potential for irritation.
- Thayers Alcohol-Free Rose Petal Witch Hazel Toner with Aloe Vera – the name of this makeup remover and toner pretty much says it all. Rose petals, Witch Hazel and Aloe Vera are all known for making skin supple, smooth and soft while giving it a nice, healthy glow.
- La Roche Posay Effaclar Physiological Micellar Cleansing Solution – this micellar-water based makeup remover is ideal for sensitive skin. It contains anti-irritant La Roche thermal spring water which leaves the skin clean and fresh. It does not leave any visible residue on the face or cause breakouts. Additionally, it is unscented, and it does not contain soap, alcohol, colors and parabens.
Using micellar water couldn’t be simpler. Just apply it to your cotton pad and wipe it all around your face. Do not rub or rinse after! That’s it. After the application, your skin is left clean, soft and hydrated.