Can gym wear successfully become street wear and vice versa? Are there clothes that work well at the gym and in the street while looking stylish at the same time? The answer is yes and yes! No-one ever would have thought that pairing sneakers with an elegant over the shoulder purse could look even remotely good, but times and fashion have changed and now you see girls everywhere wearing sneakers, sophisticated designer purses and daisy dukes at the same time and somehow making it all work. Or how about combining nice leggings with an oversize cardigan and a good pair of sunglasses? Again, this mix and match works and it looks fashionable.
These days it’s all about sporty comfort. The basic idea is to wear things that are versatile (that can also be worn in a variety of situations), comfortable and not restrictive. And for that gym clothes can be the perfect choice. However, bear in mind there is a fine line between wearing gym clothes as street wear because you certainly don’t want to show up at a snazzy party wearing yoga pants.
The good news is that there are many apparel companies that have realized that workout clothes can be incorporated into smart street clothes and have started making beautiful and functional gym wear so that you can effortlessly transition from workout to everyday life.
If you are willing to give this gym-to-street-style a try, we have come up with five things that will help you to seamlessly crossover from the gym to the street.
1. Stylish Sneakers
Sneakers are very versatile – apart from being an integral part of your workout clothes, outside the gym you can pair them with a leather jacket, a good pair of jeans and a simple white T-shirt for casual look. Or simple black sneakers can be combined with a nice summer dress and a cute denim jacket.
Here is our choice of stylish sneakers:
- Nike Free TR5 – These are ultra light training shoes with very flexible midsole and six different flex points. In these shoes, your feet will move more naturally and effortlessly. The heel, toe and sides have soft rubber pods that give great traction and there is an 8mm difference between heel and forefoot. They come in a variety of colors and designs – the classic Black, White / Game Royal (electric blue), White / Green, White / Red, White / Midnight Navy, White / Sport Red, White / Pure Platinum / Metallic Silver, and White / Black.
- Nike Air Max Thea – The good old Air Max! One of the most comfortable sneakers ever. The Max Air technology provides utmost impact protection while the forefoot mesh and perforations along the entire length of the shoe ensure breathability. Like most Nike shoes, these ones are also incredibly lightweight and have a Phylone midsole. And you are going to love the crazy colors of the Thea line! The color combinations are to die for – Hot Lava / Sunset Glow (red/orange), Obsidian / White, Black / Anthracite / White / Wolf Grey, Volt / Lite / Liquid Lime, Sport Fuchsia / Prism Pink, Radiant Emerald / Fiberglass, Light Retro / Artisan Teal, and White / White.
2. Tailored Sweatpants
This is another universal and versatile item of clothing. If there is one thing that can successfully replace your jeans in our gym-to-street transition, tailored sweatpants must be it. Everybody has started to make them – from low- to high-end brands (Dolce & Gabbana, Balmain, Bottega Veneta have all included them in their collections). Alexandre Plokhov, one of the chief designers at Helmut Lang, says this about tailored sweatpants: “What we’re doing here is not really treating it as any kind of loungewear or active apparel. This is to me almost a substitution for denim at this point.”
As for our choice, here it is. We hope you agree.
- Asos Premium Tailored Jogger With Zip Detail – These flattering, slim fit tapered jogger pants are made from comfortable woven fabric. They have zipped trims, contrast side panels, stretch cuffs and hook & bar fastening. They are available in one color – Grey Marl – which basically goes with everything. Pair them with a classic turtleneck, simple high heels, black clutch and cute glasses and you are good to go.
3. Oversize Cardigan
There are several items of clothing that every woman should have in her wardrobe – oversize cardigan being one of them. This, again, is an incredibly useful item of clothing not only because it will keep you warm and cozy during winter days but also because you can combine it with everything else that you have in your wardrobe. It is sporty and elegant at the same time.
We fell in love with this one because of its simplicity and elegance:
- Alternative Women’s Move Wrap It Up Cardigan – Available in two neutral colors – black and grey – you can wear this cascading cardigan from morning to evening and from office to gym to a cocktail party. This one is classic fit that can be wrapped or left loose. If you are feeling chilly, there is also a hood to keep you warm.
4. Patterned Gym Bag
Sophisticated gym bag (yes, there is such a thing as sophisticated gym bag) can be also used as street wear if it’s not too bulky. Such a bag can be also used for school or in social situations and in order to wear it successfully with elegant clothes it should preferably, but not necessarily, be in one block color. It should also be small enough for the day and big enough for the gym.
Have a look at the three gym / duffel bags that we liked:
- Adidas Originals Snake Shopper – This is a really smooth bag with a cool snake skin detail on printed trims. It has two grab handles, zip top opening, an internal slip pocket, a large external pocket, a detachable cross-body strap and it can fit whatever you need.
- Nike Legend 2.0 Duffel Carry All Bag – Legend is a very striking bag, to say the least. Available in one color combination – Royal Blue / Bright Mango – the bag has plenty of room for gym clothes, shoes, a towel, a water bottle and phones. It’s well-designed and made from durable quality materials.
- Adidas Women’s Studio Club Bag – Just like the Adidas Snake Shopper, this bag is also elegant, yet quirky enough. It is a multi-purpose bag in fashion-forward colors and prints. It is also practical and roomy enough for training shoes, workout clothes and accessories.
This one is pretty self-explanatory. A carefully chosen pair of sunglasses can make any outfit pop. You can be playful as much as you want to with your sunglasses. The latest trends have shown that crazier the frame and wilder the colors, more popular the glasses are. Our choice of sunglasses comes from a well-known brand that has been around for 78 years – Ray Ban.
- Erika – These glasses will complete any look. They have both classic and bright rubber fronts, metal templates and tone-on-tone temple tips. Erika has oversized round glasses that have never actually gone out of fashion – style icons of today like Cara Delevigne and Olivia Palermo have been seen wearing them. You can personalize them with different frame colors (green, grey or brown) and different colored lenses (blue, orange, grey / silver, violet and gold).
- New Wayfarer Sunglasses – Wayfarer by Ray Ban have reached a cult status a long time ago. They are a cultural staple and can be considered both modern and classic. Originally designed by Raymond Stegeman in 1956, the Ray Ban Wayfarers were worn by the likes of John F. Kennedy, Bob Dylan and Andy Warhol. You can choose between the classic black frames with a variety of lens colors including crystal green. These glasses also offer a high level of visual clarity and protection.
So, there you go. Hopefully we have encouraged you enough to experiment a little bit with your clothes and be practical, even frugal, by wearing them on several different occasions and in different situations. Workout clothes can be as stylish and exciting as ‘ordinary’ clothes. We are not suggesting that you should wear a sports bra to a business lunch but choosing several comfortable and stylish pieces that are suitable both for the office / street and the gym is not that difficult. You now can be chic and comfortable wherever you go.