It’s carefree, sexy, luscious, ultra-feminine, pretty and made extremely popular by Victoria Secret’s models like Candice Swanepoel, Lilly Aldridge and Behati Prinsloo, as well as a slew of celebrities like Lauren Conrad, Blake Lively, Jessica Alba and Beyonce. What are we talking about? Beach hair! Beachy waves! “Just got in from the beach without doing anything to my hair” look! However you want to call it…. This hairstyle never goes out of fashion and to get it you actually don’t even have to go the beach thanks to modern day hair products.
Also, YouTube is full of “how to get beach hair” tutorials. So, basically all you need to do is to arm yourself with a bit of patience, spend some time on your hair and read our post because in the next sentences you will find all the information you need to achieve that perfectly tousled hair.
You can try to achieve that beach look by using just curlers, but you will probably fail. The curls won’t stay on for long enough and they won’t have the desired structure. What is girl to do then? Get herself a curling iron. Here are our top picks:
1. Marcel Iron – perfect for that stubborn, “won’t curl up if my life depended on it” straight hair. It heats up to 430°F, has a padded secure grip and Pulse technology.
2. Hot Tools Curling Iron – one of the favorites among hairdressers. It has variable heat settings (for tighter or looser curls) and it heats up to 430°F. Also, thanks to its rainbow gold surface, the heat distributes evenly.
3. Nume Curling Wand Iron – this is a ceramic curler that uses infrared technology, heats up to 410°F, has an ergonomic design and comes with a heat resistant glove.
If you decide to use curling irons to achieve beach waves, bear in mind that they do use a lot of heat (see above) to create curls. As you probably know, heat damages the hair a lot and it would be advisable if you protected it first with one of the following products:
1. HSI Professional Thermal Protector 450 – Aptly enough, this thermal protector is packaged in a bottle that resembles a fire extinguisher. But humor aside, HSI Professional Thermal Protector 450 is a must have for women who use not only curling irons, but also flat irons, hair dryers or any appliance that uses heat for styling. The main ingredients of this thermal protector are Argan oil and Vitamins A, B, C and D. It is also worth mentioning that it is sulfate free. All you need to do is to spray it evenly from the root to the tip of your hair and proceed to style it.
2. Sexy Hair Big Sexy Hair Powder – If your hair is fine, thin, too silky or weightless, then this is the product you absolutely need. Actually, what you need is a lot of volume in your hair, and Sexy Hair’s Big Sexy Hair Powder will help you to achieve just that. Its main ingredients are Silica Silyate, Euterpe Oleracea Pulp Oil and Oriza Sativa Rice Bran Oil which are great both for volumizing and texturizing your hair regardless of the hair type. Also, this powder is odorless and colorless. Just apply it to the root of dry hair for volume or you can sprinkle it on the tips for separation and control.
3. Herbivore Botanicals – All Natural Sea Mist Hair Spray – Because it has the same salinity as salt water from the ocean, this spray adds a lot of natural-looking beachy texture and waves. It is handmade, completely natural (100% vegan; contains purified water, Dead Sea salt, Lavender Oil or Vanilla Oil and Aloe Vera) and completely effective. Just spray it on after you have finished styling your hair and distribute evenly. Herbivore Botanical’s All Natural Sea Mist Hair Spray is also suitable for body. Spray it on every single time your skin needs refreshing and a bit of pick-me-up.
4. Not Your Mother’s Beach Babe Texturizing Sea Salt Spray – Behind this lengthy name, lies a product that is top quality, fun, innovative and a must-have for any beach babe. First of all, it smells divine (very close to vanilla scent), it gives lovely, well-structured curls and holds the curls in place for a very long time. It is not sticky or clumpy, and it is perfect both for women with thick hair and those with very fine or lifeless hair. Beach Babe Texturizing Sea Salt Spray gives a lot of control in the first case and a great volume in the second. This is not a styling spray, but a texturizing one, meaning that it shouldn’t be used for scrunching but for giving your hair the same texture as if you were at the beach.
5. Evo Salty Dog Cocktail Beach Spray – Women with fine, short hair that lack volume swear by this product. They say it works like a charm because you need only a little of it and the effects last for the entire day. Also, women with curly hair are singing praises about Evo Salty Dog Cocktail Beach Spray because this is a product that controls the curl while keeping it bouncy and natural looking. It is also a great alternative to hair spray if you want softer curls. Just spray it on the hair, dry it (naturally or with a hair dryer) and you will get that wonderful textured beachy look. If you need more volume at the roots, spray it there for an instant lift. It contains Castor Oil, Wheat Protein and Wheat Starch, Geraniol (the main ingredient in rose oil), Citric Acid, Water and Linalool (naturally found in flowers and spice plants) and a hint of perfume. Last but not least, Evo Salty Dog Cocktail Beach Spray smells divine and it is super quick and easy to use.